Rice Krispy Chicken
I have to admit, cooking is not at the top of my “Favorite Things to Do”. The grocery shopping, the pots, the pans, the cleanup… and more than anything it’s the repetitive “What should I make for dinner tonight?” that makes me want to pick up my phone and dial up some delivery!
I have to admit, cooking is not at the top of my “Favorite Things to Do”. The grocery shopping, the pots, the pans, the cleanup… and more than anything it’s the repetitive “What should I make for dinner tonight?” that makes me want to pick up my phone and dial-up some delivery! However, I love a home-cooked meal – the smell of fresh food simmering, knowing exactly what’s in my food, and that bit of pride I receive from putting together a meal that actually tastes pretty damn good! And as a single mama to two girls, I want to show them the importance of eating healthy while empowering them to find their own joy in cooking.
My go-to is a simple meal that doesn’t require a lot of prep time. 10 ingredients or more… I’m not making it. I also want my girls to enjoy the hands-on experience of preparing a meal. Cooking is a great way to interact and create that special quality time in the kitchen. Plus, with the kids being at home more these days, I feel like it’s a great real-life educational experience (can we say home economics)!
My girls absolute all-time favorite thing to eat is this recipe for Rice Krispy Chicken. It involves stomping on a bag of Rice Krispies – what kid wouldn’t enjoy that?! They ask to make it once a week and always eat the leftovers (win-win). It’s also a much healthier alternative to fried chicken, which I love!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups (roughly I don’t measure) Rice Krispy cereal
- 1 stick of butter (or 2 cups mayo can be substituted)
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter in the microwave for (about 30 seconds)
- If using mayo, place into a large shallow bowl
- Add salt to butter/mayonnaise
- This is the fun part: Place Rice Krispy cereal in a zip lock bag (be sure it’s sealed tight) and let your kids crush away!
- Dip chicken in butter/mayo mixture then cover with the crushed Rice Krispy cereal
- Be generous with the cereal and place on a baking sheet with lined, non-stick foil
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked
(Recipe taken from my mom’s recipe book & Serendipity and Spice.com)
Voila! This is such a quick and easy meal, and you can’t beat the taste of fried chicken without the frying or the oil! I love finding simple recipes to make with my girls and hope you enjoy this as much as we do!